On the 11th and 12th June we held the first Mental Health First Aid Training sessions for employees in the Leeds office, where 15 people, both office and site based attended.
The training was delivered by MHFA England and their vision is;
“To normalise society’s attitudes and behaviours around mental health, by developing the skills we need to look after our own and others’ wellbeing. We want to empower people through education to care for themselves and others. People from all walks of life train to become MHFA England instructors but they all have one thing in common: a desire to improve the mental health of our society.”
The course outlined the following:
- Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is a training course which teaches people how to identify, understand and help someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue.
- Teach you to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis – and even potentially stop a crisis from happening.
- Learn to recognise warning signs of mental ill health, and develop the skills and confidence to approach and support someone while keeping yourself safe.
- Learn how to empower someone to access the support they might need for recovery or successful management of symptoms. This could include self-help books or websites, accessing therapy services through their GP, their school or place of work, online self-referral, support groups, and more.
- You’ll gain an understanding of how to support positive well-being and tackle stigma in the world around you.
We are holding these courses as part of the strategic goals for Group to improve the mental and physical health and well-being of our employees.